In Tamil Nadu, at Madurai in 1609, the Portugal Jesuits started
their mission under the leadership of Robert De Nobili. But unfortunately
in 1773, the society of Jesus was suppressed due to some political
interferences and later restored in 1814. After the restoration, the new
Madurai Mission was nurtured by French Jesuits. It was on 4th February
1929, the anniversary of the Martyrdom of St. John De Britto, that the
Madurai Mission was elevated to the status of Vice-Province, dependent
on the Toulouse Province. A few years later, it was raised to an
independent province on 15th August 1952 with Fr. Humbert Pinto (1899-
1981) as the Acting Provincial. At the time of transfer of power by the
French to Indians, there were 400 Jesuits of whom 300 were Indians.
St. Xavier's College of Education is one of the three educational Institutions owned by the Society of St. Francis Xavier, a body registered under the Societies Registration Act, (S.No.3 of 1920-21) having its office at Palayamkottai. The College was started in 1950 as St. Xavier's Teachers' Training College at St. Xavier's (Autonomous) College Campus by Rev. Fr. Bonhoure S.J. as its first Principal. The college has been able to establish its mark of excellence on the educational map of India by hard and strenuous efforts of Rev. Fathers, Rev. Brothers and lay collaborators.
|Name of the Secretary
||Rev. Fr. John Gualbert, S.J.,
|Address & Telephone No.
||St. Xavier's College of Education (Autonomous)
||Palayamkottai - 627 002. 0462-2577630
|Name of the Principal
||Rev. Dr. D. Thomas Alexander, S.J.,
|Residence Telephone No
|Year of establishment