Chronology of Events

1950 - 1951 The College was started and affiliated to the University of Madras with an intake of 30 students. Rev. Fr. Bonhoure SJ. took charge as the Principal.
Optional subjects offered were English, Maths, Science and Social Studies.
1955 - 1956 Rev. Fr. Utarid S.J. became the principal.
1958 - 1959 Rev.Fr. Thomas Thundil S.J. succeeded Rev.Fr.Utarid as the principal.
1963 - 1964 Rev. Fr. Arul Joseph S.J. became the Principal.
1966 - 1967 The college became affiliated to the Madurai Kamaraj University. Intake of students was enhanced to 100.
1967 - 1968 Bellarmine House, Hostel for the B.Ed., students was opened.
Venue of the college was shifted to the present campus.
1969 - 1970 M.Ed. course was started.
1970 - 1971 Mr. J.A. Right took charge as the Principal.
1971 - 1972 St. Xavier's Training College became St. Xavier's College of Education.
1973 - 1974 Rev. Fr. Dr. Joseph Srinivasan S.J. succeeded Mr. J.A. Right as the Principal.
1975 - 1976 Silver Jubilee celebration of the college was celebrated.
1980 - 1981 English as an Optional II was introduced.
1984 - 1985 Biological Science as an Optional II was introduced.
1985 - 1986 Rev. Fr. Dr. I. Vedanayagam took charge as the principal.1989 - 1990 M.Phil. (Education) was started. Computer Centre started offering courses.1990 - 1991 The College was affiliated to the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University.
1992 - 1993 Ph.D. (Education) was started.
1995 - 1999 Golden Jubilee Block was constructed.
1999 - 2000 Rev. Fr. Dr. S. Sebastian S.J. became the Principal. The college was assessed and accredited with Five Stars by the NAAC. Golden Jubilee celebration was inaugurated.
2000 - 2001 Golden Jubilee of the college was celebrated. New Library Block was constructed.
2001 - 2002 Publication of a research journal "Research and Reflections on Education " was started.
2001 - 2002 A spacious A.V. hall with all modern equipments was born. A full-fledged Language Laboratory was established. Golden Jubilee Arch was constructed and blessed.
2002 - 2003 Approved to be one of the eight IGNOU B.Ed., Programme Study Centres in Tamil Nadu. Installation of the statue of our Lord.
2003 - 2004 A Two - floor building, accomodating a dining Hall and Ten living rooms, was constructed for the hostel students.
2004 - 2005 Additional intake of M.Ed., Students from 15 to25 seats.
2005 - 2006 Additional intake of B.Ed., Students from 100 to 150 seats.
2006 - 2007 UGC Confered the autonomy status on our College.
2006 - 2007 Tamil and Computer science were introduced as an optional subjects. The College got permanent affiliation from Manonmanium Sundaranar University.
2006 - 2007 The College was re-accredited with A+ grade by NAAC.
2007 -2008 Rev.Fr. D. Thomas Alexander, S.J., succeeded. Rev. Dr. S. Sebastian, S.J., as Secretary and the Principal. The second floor of Jubliee Block was completed.
2008 - 2009 Additional intake of M.Ed students from 25 to 50 Seats. College was affiliated to (Newly started) Tamilnadu Teachers Education University, Chennai.
2009 - 2010 Introduction of Public Addressing System, Beautification of Front Garden with tiles & ISSN Number for the Journal. Review of Autonomy by Tamilnadu Teachers Education University.
2010 - 2011 NCTE sanctions additional intake of 20 M.Ed., students, raising the total to 70.
2011 - 2012 New Room was built for M.Phil. at the Northern side of Auditorium in the Second Floor.
2012 - 2013 The college was re-accredited (3rd Cycle) by NAAC at ‘A’ Grade with CGPA 3.67. UGC Review committee extended the Autonomous status of the College for the period of Six years, upto 2017-2018.
2013 - 2014 Fr. Dr. A. Lourdusamy, S.J. took charge as the Secretary of the college. A room for the college Secretary was established with Air Condition. The open stage in the college quatrangle was extended.
2014 - 2015 Dean’s office was renovated with Wooden Racks and flooring mat. A Software for bulk SMS, including attendance and annoncements to staff and students was established in the Dean’s office. Foundation stone was laid for the new library.
2015 - 2016 Rev.Fr. G. John Gualbert, S.J. took charge as the Secretary of the College.
Rev. Dr. D. Thomas Alexander, S.J. went on leave for his Post Doctoral Degree programme to USA.
Rev. Dr. S. Amaladoss Xavier, S.J. took charge as Principal incharge of the College.
The college switched over to 2 year B.Ed. and 2 year M.Ed. programme according to NCTE Rules and Regualtions, 2014 Act. Accordingly B.Ed. programme had 2 units (50 per unit) and M.Ed. programme had 1 unit (50 per unit).
The opening of new library building in the name of Fr. Utarid, S.J.
2016-2017 Change in Admission group from ‘Boys only’ to ‘Co-education’.
Rev. Dr. D. Thomas Alexander, S.J. resumed as Principal after his Post Doctoral Degree programme. Academic and Adminstrative Audit Committee assessed the Internal Quality of the College.
NAAC extended the validity of Accreditation period upto 2020.
Launching of e-magazine (online) entitled “AASAAN” for prospective teachers.
2017-2018 College Journal “Research and Reflections on Education was approved by UGC and registered with No.64624.

Name of the Secretary Rev.Fr.Pushparaj Gnanasamy SJ,
Address & Telephone No. St. Xavier's College of Education (Autonomous)
  Palayamkottai - 627 002. 0462-2577630
Name of the Principal Rev. Dr. D. Thomas Alexander, S.J.,
Residence Telephone No 0462-2560005, 4264218
Hostel 0462-4264496
Year of establishment 1950